Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Relaxing and Being with the Lord and the Beginning of School

Relaxing is hard for me to do, but that's exactly what I'm doing today and tomorrow.  Of course I'm still washing clothes, doing dishes, and cooking, but that is all!

WHY RELAX?

Why is it so hard for us to relax? It is a command from the Lord.  He tells us in His word to "Be still and know that I am God."  So why do we have such a hard time?

WHY NOT BE STILL?

Am I the only one who struggles with this (may be that I'm a smidge ADD)? I think it's because our flesh doesn't want us to have time alone with God.  When we get alone with the Lord we have to face our sin.  We, as people, don't like to admit when we do things that are wrong.  We don't want to admit that we hurt feelings, reject the Lord, say no to Him, miss opportunities to serve.  We don't like to see ourselves less than perfect.

WHAT KEEPS US OCCUPIED?

We stay so busy.  Of course, we have to take care of our families, work and do regular every day tasks, but we NEED to and HAVE to slow down.  We always have things going on...radio, TV, you name it we can find things to occupy our minds.  This is a downfall of mine, just recently I have begun turning off the TV when no one is in the house but me.  I enjoy a little quiet.  That's when the Lord speaks to us, during our quiet time.

WHAT DO WE DO?

We have to be still!  True confession time:  during the summer I basically have no routine.  I try to ride my stationary bike, but not always, and this is when I have my quiet time.  So therefore, during the summer I don't always do right.  I try, I'm convicted, I'll read, but then the day goes by and I haven't read it yet again.  

I love summer because I like to not be tied down to anything,  but I am not a very disciplined person and I need a routine (kind of like a baby).  I believe we all need a routine! School is about to start back and I'll have a routine.  When school is in session I get up at 5:00 every morning to read my Bible and pray while I ride my bike.  I dread getting up at 5:00, but this is what I have to do in order to have my quiet time.  

It's not good as Christian people to miss our time with the Lord!  It depresses us, it makes us not who we are supposed to be, it makes us grumpy and easily irritated!

CHALLENGE

I want to challenge you, as well as me, to set aside a time daily to read our Bibles and pray daily!  Our flesh doesn't like it when we do this and I'm not going to lie to you, it's not easy, but it must be done!  It's vital to our sanity and well being.  

So today, as I finish up with this post I'm about to go and do just that, read my Bible, pray, and ride my bike...and to be still and focus on the Lord and what He has for me in this new year as school begins again.



No comments:

Post a Comment