Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 14, 2014

LIfe Lessons in Goat Showing and Matthew 20:16

Today we showed goats, well, not we but K (our 16 year old).  We loaded up the goats and all of the things needed for showing goats, which is ALOT, and we drove to a show about an hour away.  We left this morning about 8:30 and didn't get home tonight until 8:00.  Goat showing is hard work ;).

There is much preparation that goes into showing goats.  First, the goats have to be washed.  Then the goats have to be dried and all of their hair shaved off (except on their head and their legs).  These few things happen a couple of days before a show and that's just the beginning!

The day of the show we load clippers, feed, buckets, extension cords, dryers, chairs (because there is a lot of waiting and watching), a stand, and the goats into the back of the truck.  Then we drive to the show.

Once we get there we unload everything and the goats have to be washed again, so they'll be sparkly clean and pretty for the show.

Let me just tell you...all of this goat hauling around is not for the faint of heart! Goats are STUBBORN!  If you want them to go one way they want to go the other and they jump and they buck and they kick.  It's a good thing that the heaviest one we have now only weighs 88 pounds.

So we get there today and get everything unloaded, goats washed and fed and watered and then we wait.  We finished washing the goats and got them in their pen by about 12:00.  The show didn't start untill 3:00!

This is K and a friend that accompanied us to the show today! Everything is better with friends!  L was there too, I just didn't happen to get any pics of him.  He doesn't like showing goats, he'll help, but he doesn't show and I say to each his own...baseball is his thing.

We generally have a good time while we wait, we talk and joke and just chill and relax (if you can relax in a 100 degree barn).

So about 3:30 it's time for K to show in showmanship.  It's divided up by age and there were 6 people in K's age division.  The judge begins asking them questions about their goats and walking around to make sure they know what they are doing.  You see, in showmanship it's all about how you present your animal and how controlled you are.  You are supposed to keep the animal between you and the judge at all times and maintain eye contact with the judge. Well, K made one little error, just one and bless her, she came in last place.  She was really bummed.  We had a little talk about it and what she had done and what she could do different and after we sat there for a little bit (remember, there's a lot of waiting) she was fine.  
This is Katie talking to the judge before her teeny, tiny error.  

OK, so fast forward to about 5:00 and it's time to show the goats in their weight division.  This time it's about the goats, now you still have to show them, but it isn't so much about the child as it is the goat.  
Well, the goat, bless him, came in last place in his weight class.  And she doesn't just show one, she shows two.  The other goat is in a different weight class, and bless him, he comes in last place too!  

That was 3 times in last place today!  That has never, ever happened!  We usually do pretty well!  
This is K showing that same goat in his weight division.  By the time she showed the last goat we were tired and just ready to pack up that's why there aren't any pics of him.

JP had to work and my sweet mother-in-law went with us today, and as we were sitting there I just mentioned that I hate that any of these kids have to come in last place.  She looked at me and in her wisdom told me that somebody has to come in last and that is how we learn our lessons in life.

I started thinking about that.  I've really been contemplating it this evening.  The Lord gave me this verse, Matthew 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.  I know that is not what this verse is referencing, but just follow me here...

Now I could bad mouth the judge and say he didn't know what he was doing (and I have been guilty of that before, well, maybe today too), or I could let the Lord teach ME a lesson!  After I got over MY hurt feelings because my baby had come in last 3 times today I started listening to the Lord. (I really am working on listening before I speak!)

I told K that she had gotten her feet knocked out from under her today, and then I asked her was she planning on showing goats again to which she replied yes.  I told her that is the way it is when we serve the Lord or when we are walking through this life.  Is it always fair, do we always deserve it? No, but sometimes we get our feet knocked out from under us.  Sometimes it's because of things we've done to ourselves and sometimes it's just life, and sometimes Satan comes along and knocks our feet out from under us.  When this happens are we supposed to just lie there and not get up and go on? NO, we need to pray and ask the Lord to help us with His mighty hand and lift us back up and set us on the Solid Rock!  His Solid Rock!  

THE SOLID ROCK
Keith W. Ward
Scientist
Coatesville, PA

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain: 
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

Thank you Lord for your forgiveness and Your great Mercy toward us by helping us time and time again when we need You! 



2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful lesson from our Rock! Thank you for sharing about your day. I had no idea showing goats was so complicated. Good job, Katie for hanging in there when the going got rough!! Love to the Ellis clan, Aunt Sharion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunt Sharion! This blog has helped me so much in my walk with Him. I'm really enjoying writing!

      Delete