Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Homegrown Cream Corn

The corn was ready to pull last week.  I love to eat corn, but I HATE to put it up!!!! Of course, it's a necessary evil, so I did it.  I didn't do it with the best attitude, but we got it done!  

JP, K, and L went and pulled the corn, LOTS of corn, and they shucked it.  Sorry, I didn't get any pics of that, I wish I had though! 

So they bring all of this corn in the house that needs to be silked.  I learned this trick from my Mamaw, you silk it with a toothbrush, a dry, clean toothbrush.  Just brush the corn, sort of vigorously, and most of the silks will come off.  JP and I did this...horrendous task!!!

We get this corn silked and I begin to cut it off of the cob.  You just hold it and barely cut the tops off of the kernels.


Then you take the knife and scrape the corn, sometimes I scrape it with the back of the knife and sometimes I scrape it with the blade.
And yes, I did cut myself a few times...did I mention I HATE putting up corn?

Add water to the corn, we had about 10 cups of corn and I added about 5-6 cups of water, and then boil the corn that has been cut off.


And bag it up.  I usually put about 1/2-3/4 cup per person in a bag.

Did you notice the corn all over my shirt, arms, hands, and if you could have seen it, my face and head?  Well, it's a messy task, but it's REALLY good to eat!!!
So we did this with about 1 million ears of corn, well, not really, but it felt like it.  It was more like 200 ears, and let me just say, we only got 5 bags of corn...yep, you read right! 5 BAGS OF CORN!  Oh well, that will be 5 good bags of corn to eat.  Joyful attitude...I really had to keep reminding myself of this!  So I thank the Lord for this corn and the ability to be able to put it up for my family.  

We WILL eat them sparingly!  So if you come to my house and want to partake in our cream corn, I probably won't let you...hahahahaha! Just kidding, I'll let you eat our corn with us!  


No comments:

Post a Comment